It’s the time of the year when we trade in our suits for our suitcases and head off on a well deserved summer holiday. Earlier this year we added travel insurance to our site and we asked our community of well-heeled travellers to share with us their best travel experiences for under $20. We got some great tips from cheap eats to off the beaten track local experiences.
Heading to New York? For just $16 you can go ice skating in Central Park’s famous Wollman Rink or grab a martini at the rooftop bar of the Metropolitan Museum and watch the sunset over Manhattan. How about Hong Kong? Shopping bargains galore can be found at the local markets of Temple Street, Mong Kok and Stanley Street. And according to Trish, when in Singapore next you’ve got weigh in on the Laska wars between three Laksa restaurants on East Coast Road.
But it’s not just overseas where $20 goes along way or delivers up a long lasting memory, we asked our team here at Mozo what’s the best money they’ve spent this year and here’s some of our top picks:
- Microbead travel pillow – sleep on a plane at last!
- Aldi milk frother – just a tad over budget at $25 but this gadget has saved us hundreds of dollars this year in latte costs.
- Long Island Iced Tea at the Burdekin Hotel. So long it lasted several rounds.
- Enjoying a beer on the 1st floor of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
- Actor on a box at Sydney Theatre – $15 a ticket for a top performance starring Umbilical Brother David Williams. Keep an eye out for this series in 2013. Great family fun.
- 1 litre tub of peanut butter praline gelato from Gelato Messina – dangerously just up the road from Mozo HQ in Darlinghurst.
- Kmart water table – marked down from $25 to $19.95. Hours of safe summer fun for the kids and the only work you’ll have to do afterwards is change their wet clothes.
- Classic read: On the Road by Jack Kerouac, an essential companion for any summer road trip.
- Green Ethiopian coffee beans – just $15 for a kilo!
- Love This Giant, a collaboration between David Byrne and St.Vincent. The most inventive music heard in years!
What’s the best $20 you’ve spent this year? Share your best buy by adding a comment below!
MORE in this month’s Moneyzone
Before the sales frenzy starts, read up on our fast guide to working the sales like a pro. 5 top sale shopping tips >>>
Start your NY resolutions early and switch to a low rate credit card from just 9.99%. Credit cards from 9.99% >>>
Home loan rates are tumbling as low as 5.24%. Bag a Christmas bargain and save thousands. Home loans from 5.24% >>>