What is Amazon Prime Day 2022? Everything you need to know about this year’s event
Good news! Amazon has confirmed that Prime Day will return this July and the date has been announced - the annual shopping event will kick off at 12am EAST on Tuesday 12 July.
This year's Prime Day will run for a total of 65 hours, giving Aussie Prime members plenty of time to browse and shop from a massive range of deals.
Some pre-Prime Day deals to check out:
There are currently some pre-Prime Day deals that may be worth checking out! Including...
- 15% off Nintendo Switch Console Lite
- 29% off Nintendo Ring Fit Adventure
- 71% off Assassin’s Creed Valhalla for Playstation 5
- 24% off Apple iPhone 11 (64GB)
- 17% off Apple iPhone 12 (64GB)
- 20% off Apple Airpods Pro
- 15% off Apple Airpods (2nd Generation)
- 24% off Apple Airpods Max
- 46% off Samsung Galaxy Buds Live
- 41% off Amazon Echo Buds (2nd Generation)
- 35% off Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- 25% off Ultimate Ears Boom 3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
What is Amazon prime day in Australia?
Prime Day is Amazon's massive annual shopping event, featuring thousands of deals across two days for members of its Prime subscription service.
Just about every item of Amazon's paraphernalia will be on sale. This includes bestsellers like tech gear, gaming consoles, office supplies, food and pantry items and the odd DNA kit.
Prime day began as a one-day sale on July 15, 2015, as a way to celebrate Prime members on Amazon's 20th birthday.
Why does Amazon have Prime Day?
Amazon began Prime Day as a ‘thank you' to their paying members. However, Prime Day doesn’t exclusively sell Amazon products.
Third-party sellers and hundreds of other brands also stockpile great deals for Prime Day, so your favourites could be up for grabs!
When is Prime Day this year?
Amazon recently released a statement announcing that Prime Day will take place in July in more than 20 countries. The shopping event starts at 12am EAST on Tuesday July 12 and will run for a total of 65 hours. Be sure to set yourself a reminder so you don't miss out!
How can you make the most of Prime Day?
Firstly, you’ll need to sign up for Amazon's Prime membership. Without it, you can’t participate in Prime Day.
This will set you back $59 a year in Australia, or $6.99 a month. It’s not too bad, considering this is what you’ll pay for a few coffees per month.
What are the benefits of an Amazon Prime Membership?
There are quite a few rewards for signing up to Amazon Prime, including:
Exclusive Delivery Deals:
- Free Expedited Delivery on Prime eligible items at no extra cost in as fast as two business days.
- Free Expedited International Delivery on orders over $49 of Prime eligible items sold and shipped.
- Free Release Day Delivery on eligible pre-order items delivered on their release date to certain metro areas and suburbs.
- Discounted Residential Express Delivery on eligible items, to eligible addresses.
Prime Exclusive Deals:
- Discounted Priority Delivery on eligible items.
- Members get exclusive access to a selection of Prime member-only shopping deals on Amazon AU.
- Prime Early Access: Get 30-minutes early access to Prime eligible Lightning Deals on Amazon AU.
- Alexa Voice Shopping: Order or reorder Prime eligible local items by the voice from your Alexa device.
- Prime Video - gives you unlimited access to Prime video content.
- Amazon Music Prime - gives you access to 2 million songs, thousands of stations and top playlists.
- Prime Gaming - Prime members enjoy a selection of free games every month, access to free in-game loot for some of the world’s biggest games, a Prime Gaming channel subscription every month, and an expanded set of chat emotes and colours, an exclusive chat badge, and more.
- Prime Reading - Members enjoy free access to a selection of more than 1,000 e-books, short reads, comics, travel guides, children’s books and more at any given time. With Amazon’s free Kindle reading app, members can read on any device.
Amazon’s Prime Free Trial: Try before you buy
Amazon Prime offers a 30 day free trial which means that if you sign up now, you will have a free Prime membership during Prime Day and will be able to shop all of the sales and get all of the perks of membership!
The free trial option is great if you’re still not 100% sure about signing up.
Here’s how it works:
- You'll need a current, valid payment card to sign up for Amazon Prime. These include all major debit and credit cards, but you won’t be able to use gift cards to purchase a membership.
- While you won't be charged for your free trial of 30 days, you'll be automatically converted to a paid membership plan at the end of the trial period if you forget to cancel before the renewal date.
- Amazon does consider your free or paid membership history when determining whether you're eligible for an Amazon Prime free trial, so unfortunately you can’t just load up on free trials.
Our tips for shopping on Amazon Prime Day:
Overwhelmed by the sheer volume of Prime Day deals? Here are some hot online shopping tips and tricks to help you out.
- Most importantly, you must be a Prime member to enjoy these exclusive perks and deals. Have your subscription or free trial ready to go by Prime Day.
- Create an Amazon wish list ahead of time. Knowing what you're looking for can help you spot the juiciest deals on the day.
- Be prepared! Get your coffee ready. The best deals often get snatched up in a matter of minutes, so it’s helpful to be ready to go.
- Popular items like Nintendo Switches, smartwatches, and smart TVs usually get snatched up in a matter of seconds, so get 'em before they're gone!
Please refer to the full terms and conditions available on Amazon’s website to see who is eligible to open up for an Amazon Prime Account. Additionally, before signing up for the 30-day trial period on offer, refer to the full terms and conditions on their website.
While all these shopping deals can be fun, it’s always best to get your budget in order first. Try our Mozo Budget Calculator to better manage your expenses before you get started.