5 ways to save money when sending gifts overseas
Looking to send gifts to family and friends in Copenhagen? New York? Tokyo? Well, with the help of international money transfer (IMT) provider Wise, we gathered five tips on how to save money anywhere abroad.
Australia is home to 25 million people and 30% of them were born overseas, which means that when holidays come around, many Australians might spend up to send gifts abroad.
However, it doesn’t have to be expensive; in fact, you might save if you follow the tips below.
1) Shop online at a local store.
Wise says it's cheaper to buy gifts from a local website rather than buying in Australia and then shipping it.
Let’s assume you want to give your mum in London this Zara kimono ($319 AUD). If you buy it on the Zara UK website, it will be £149 GBP, which is about $265 AUD. Plus, you won't have to pay an international shipping fee, saving you even more bucks!
2) Shop in the local currency
By shopping in the local currency you can save yourself the trouble of being hit with unexpected conversion fees.
3) Use a card that holds multiple currencies
Having a card with multiple currencies lets you move money across relatively hassle-free and in seconds.
4) Look out for conversion fees
Several banks charge a currency conversion fee and a marked-up exchange rate. No one likes being charged twice, so when picking an IMT provider look at what extra fees it may charge.
5) Keep an eye on sales!
When shopping, remember to make a priority list of what you want to buy and research for potential sales. With Black Friday and Cyber Monday around the corner, it's prime time to take advantage of discounts.
Shopping online for loved ones this holiday season doesn’t have to put a hole in your pocket. If you prepare early and use the tips above, you might save some money.
If you want to learn more about sending money overseas with international money transfers. Alternatively, if you’re ready to send money, compare IMT providers below or check out the IMT winners of the Mozo Expert Choice Awards winners.
I want to transfer
Today’s foreign exchange rates
- Transact online 24/7 with fast settlement & extremely competitive rates.
- Quick and easy account setup, supports multiple payment methods including debit/credit card, bank transfers and wire transfers.
- Transfer over $200 and receive 50% off on first transaction fee from any country in APAC (outside INR); plus $0 fees on first transaction to India. T&Cs apply.