Velocity frequent flyer
Velocity Frequent Flyer is the official rewards program for Virgin Australia. There are plenty of easy and quick ways to earn Velocity points, just by using your Velocity Frequent Flyer credit card when you make purchases. The loyalty program then has a huge range of rewards you can redeem your points on as well as offering unique benefits including family pooling and points for pets!
Who offers Velocity Frequent Flyer credit cards?
With ample credit card providers in Australia there comes plenty who offer Velocity Frequent Flyer cards. These pieces of plastic are directly linked to the Velocity Frequent Flyer rewards program, so whenever you earn points they go straight to your Velocity membership. For example, for every $1 spent on Amex using the American Express Velocity Escape Card, you will earn one Velocity point. The brand of credit card you have will also determine how many points you earn. If you have an American Express branded frequent flyer credit card you’ll earn more points than the Visa or MasterCard equivalent.
There are then general rewards credit cards that are indirectly linked to the Velocity Frequent Flyer program. The points earned are credited to a general rewards program and can then be converted to the Velocity Frequent Flyer program if you choose. Keep in mind, with these indirect credit cards, you may lose points during the conversion to Velocity points.
How to maximise points earning with a Velocity Frequent Flyer credit card
One of the joys of being a Velocity Frequent Flyer member is there are so many ways you can earn points and it’s not just by flying with Virgin Australia. Here’s a list of all the ways you can maximise your Velocity points earning. So make sure you keep your membership card in your wallet and use your Velocity Frequent Flyer credit card whenever you make a purchase….you don’t want to miss an opportunity to make points!
- Fly with Virgin and airline partners: If you’re planning a domestic or international flight, look at flying with Virgin Australia or one of its partner airlines. As a Velocity member you’ll be rewarded with points, flying to over 600 worldwide destinations. With all domestic Virgin Australia flights, you’ll earn 5 points per $1 spent on all eligible fares.
- Velocity co-branded credit cards: When you make a purchase using an American Express Velocity card, NAB Velocity card or a Virgin Money credit card your Velocity points are automatically assigned to your Velocity Frequent Flyer membership account.
- Petrol: Need to fill up your tank? Pull into a BP service station to earn 2 Velocity points for the first 150 litres of fuel.
- Car hire: Pick up a rental car from Hertz, Thrifty or Europcar and earn 3 points for every $1 spent. If you’re a silver, gold or platinum Velocity member you can even earn bonus points!
- Hotels: Be it a weekend escape or the annual family holiday, earn Velocity points by booking your hotel with a Velocity Frequent Flyer hotel partner. There are 600,000 hotels to choose from in more than 37,000 cities worldwide.
- Eating out: Keep your points soaring and earn 300 Velocity points every time you make a booking through the Book a Restaurant website.
- Shopping: Jump onto the Velocity eStore where you can earn points for shopping online.
Click here to compare and find the best deals on frequent flyer rewards card.
Rewards you can redeem your Velocity points for
You’ve earnt a significant amount of Velocity points now you feel it’s time to reward yourself for all that spending! Take a look at all the things you can redeem your points for and don’t forget to compare rewards cards right here:
- Flights: Redeem your points for domestic and international Virgin Australia flights to hundreds of destinations around the world. You can also redeem your points for flights with Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Singapore Airlines and SilkAir.
- Flight upgrade: Velocity members can use points to upgrade on Virgin Australia domestic and international short haul flights.
- Shopping: Head to the Velocity Frequent Flyer rewards store where you can redeem points for a range of products including, fashion, beauty, technology, electronics, entertainment, gift cards. You can even use your points to make charity donations.
- Car hire: Heading away and need a set of wheels for your holiday? Redeem your Velocity points online with Europcar.
- Hotels: Save yourself money on your next holiday by using your points to book accommodation with a Velocity partner hotel. Choose from 75,000 hotels across 180 countries.
We know that choosing a rewards card isn’t easy and you want one that will offer you rewards you’re interested in. That’s why Mozo developed the Rewards Revealer Tool. Simply plug in your annual spend and we'll show you which card will give you the best rewards for your situation.
Velocity Frequent Flyer credit card fees
Most credit cards come with fees and some are hard to dodge. But here's the good news first, there is no fee to join the Velocity Frequent Flyer club program (unlike Qantas), membership is free! However, expect the following fees with your Velocity Frequent Flyer credit card:
Annual fee: A Velocity Frequent Flyer credit card does come with a high annual fee compared to other rewards cards. For example, the American Express Velocity Platinum Card has an annual fee of $349. Is it all worth it? Read our guide on rewards credit cards vs annual fee.
Currency conversion fee: When you use Velocity Frequent Flyer credit card to make an overseas purchase (online or in person) you will be charged a currency conversion fee of between 2-3% of the Australian dollar amount. Head over to our travel money section of the site so you don’t return home from your next overseas trip with a massive credit card bill.
Cash advance fee: Whenever you withdraw money from an ATM using your Velocity Frequent Flyer credit card you’ll be charged a withdrawal fee of around 3% on the amount you take out. Your provider will then start charging you interest on that money which can be as high as 20%.
Late payment fee: If you pay your credit card bill late, you will be hit with a late payment fee and then there’s interest on top of that. Set up a direct debt or automatic transfer to you don’t risk paying your bill late.
Here are some tips on avoiding credit card fees!
Ten tips on successfully using your Velocity Frequent Flyer credit card
1. To get the most value from your Velocity points, redeem them on flights not shopping rewards.
2. Take the time and shop around online for the cheapest flight so you don’t waste 6,900 Velocity points on a flight from Brisbane to Sydney which you could get on sale for $100.
3. Don’t forget to include your Velocity membership number every time you book a flight with Virgin Australia or one of its partner airlines.
4. Make sure you earn or redeem Velocity points within a three year period if not your account will become inactive and your points will expire.
5. Don’t forget to pay your credit card bill on time and if possible in full each month.
6. Take advantage of the family pooling benefit, by merging points together as a family to afford rewards earlier.
7. Don’t choose a Velocity Frequent Flyer credit card with a hefty annual fee that will cost you more than the value you will earn back in Velocity points.
8. Keep your Velocity Frequent Flyer membership card in your wallet at all times, that way you can swipe it whenever you shop at a programs partner and earn more points.
9. Avoid using your card to take out cash from an ATM, the cash advance fee can be pretty hefty.
10. Stick to a budget and don’t spend money you don’t have. Check out the Mozo budget planner.