Australia's best pet insurance in 2022Important information on terms, conditions and sub-limits
For many, pets have given us so much during the pandemic. From companionship, to comfort, and both mental and physical wellbeing, 70% of Australians say that being a pet owner has improved their lives during the pandemic, according to Animal Medicines Australia. That’s why choosing a pet insurance policy that will do right by our companions is so important. After all, your best friend deserves the best.
For the Mozo Experts Choice Awards, Mozo’s experts compared the policies of 32 pet insurance providers to find Australia’s best value pet insurance. The winners were announced in August 2021, and include comprehensive as well as accident and illness cover.
“People are probably familiar with human health insurance with its different levels of cover where you can choose hospital-only or add on cover for extras. It’s similar for animals,” said Mozo expert judge Peter Marshall. “You can get accident-only or accident and illness, or a comprehensive style of policy which includes cover for routine care. So it’s important to consider how much cover you want to have for your pet in different situations.”
So, if you’re after a new policy, or a great deal, we’ll throw you a bone and bring you the best pet insurance policies available for your furry friends.
Mozo Experts Choice Best Pet Insurance
Pet Insurance Australia Pet Insurance Australia Major Medical Cover*
- Offers annual benefit limit up to $15,145 for accident and injury cover
- Covers up to 80% of vet bill claims
- Offers discounts for additional pets you insure
Pet Insurance Australia was awarded the Mozo Experts Choice Award^ for Exceptional Value Comprehensive Pet Insurance for its Major Medical Cover. With an annual benefit limit of up to $15,145 for specific accidents, injuries, and routine care, and vet bill claims of up to 80%, their Major Medical plan is one to watch this year.
Knose Knose Pet Insurance*
- 2021 Pet Insurance Provider of the Year^
- Annual benefit limit of $25,000 for accident and injury cover
- Flexibility to have between 70% and 90% of eligible claims covered
Taking the cake for the Mozo Experts Choice Awards Pet Insurance Provider of the Year^, Knose Pet Insurance is top-dog. With a flexible policy on offer, Knose Pet Insurance may cover up to $25,000 each year in treatments for eligible accidents and injuries, with the option to have 70%, 80% or 90% of eligible claims covered by the policy.
Mozo Editors Choice Pet Insurance
Budget Direct Budget Direct Pet Insurance*
- Annual benefit limit of $12,000 per year for illness and accidental injury
- Covers 80% of your eligible vet bills
- 15% off if you quote online
Budget Direct Pet Insurance offers an annual benefit limit of $12,000 if your cat or dog is accidentally injured or falls ill. Plus, they’ll cover a generous 80% of your eligible vet bill when you take your companion to any registered vet or veterinary practice in Australia. You’ll also receive a 15% discount on your first year’s premium for a new policy purchased online.
Petsy Petsy Pet Insurance*
- $25,000 annual limit for accidental injury and illness on Petsy’s top level cover
- Covers up to 90% of your eligible vet bills
- Option to add extra vet bill cover for dental, behavioural problems, and alternative therapies
Petsy Pet Insurance offers a maximum annual benefit limit of $25,000 for accidental injury and illness if you take out their top level of cover. Along with that, their top level of cover may reimburse up to 90% of your eligible vet bills, with $0 annual excess. But you’re also able to customise your policy by adding optional extras like dental, behavioural problems, and alternative therapies cover, or lowering your annual benefit limit to $10,000, reducing your benefit percentage to 80%, or opting for $150 annual excess. We know every pet is different, so why shouldn’t your policy reflect that?
* Terms, conditions, exclusions, limits and sub-limits may apply to any of the insurance products shown on the Mozo website. These terms, conditions, exclusions, limits and sub-limits could affect the level of benefits and cover available under any of the insurance products shown on the Mozo website. Please refer to the relevant Product Disclosure Statement and the Target Market Determination on the provider's website for further information before making any decisions about an insurance product.
^See information about the Mozo Experts Choice Pet Insurance Awards