6 fun ways for families to save on electricity this winter
As the winter chill sets in, families across the country are cranking up the heat to stay warm and cosy. However, with the rising cost of electricity, keeping your energy bill in check can be a real challenge. The good news is, there are plenty of fun and creative ways for families to save on electricity without sacrificing comfort. So, put on your thinking caps and get ready for some exciting ideas to reduce your energy consumption while still enjoying a fun-filled winter season with the whole family.
- Family game nights by candlelight: Turn off the lights and bring out the board games! Gather the family around a table lit by candles or lanterns for a nostalgic night of fun. Not only will this create a cosy scene, but it will also help you significantly reduce electricity usage during those peak evening hours.
- Winter movie madness with homemade snacks: Create a movie theatre experience at home by dimming the lights, turning down the heaters and cuddling up on the couch with lots of blankets and pillows. Instead of using energy-hungry appliances like popcorn or jaffle makers, get the kids involved in making a homemade grazing board packed with cut fruit, crackers, cheese and more, before the movie begins.
- Indoor picnics and cooking adventures: Dust off the picnic blanket and bring sunshine into your living room! Instead of using your oven to prepare meals, opt for stovetop cooking methods or embrace slow cooking options like a crockpot. Use this opportunity to explore new recipes and get the whole family involved in preparing a delightful feast.
- Energy-efficient craft time: Who says saving on electricity can't be creative? Encourage the kids to engage in crafts that require minimal use of electronic devices. Think paper crafts, painting, or knitting. By unplugging from screens and using energy-efficient creative outlets, you'll not only save on electricity but also promote quality family time that stimulates creativity.
- Outdoor winter adventures: While it may be tempting to stay indoors during the winter months, venturing outside can be both exciting and energy-saving. Embrace the natural daylight and plan outdoor activities such as bush walks, bike rides, or even setting up a treasure hunt. Not only will you save on electricity, but also provide the family with a refreshing change of scenery.
- Energy-saving challenges and rewards: Turn saving on electricity into a game! Challenge your family members to identify energy-wasting habits and brainstorm solutions to reduce consumption. Set achievable goals and reward the family with treats or special outings when milestones are reached. This approach not only makes energy-saving fun, but also creates good habits for the entire household.
By incorporating some of these fun and creative strategies into your winter routine, you can enjoy the season while saving on your electricity. Remember, every small step counts when it comes to reducing energy consumption and lowering those bills. So, get ready to have a blast while making a positive impact on your pocket and the environment.
Looking for a new energy plan? Head to our energy hub to find and compare providers in your area, or make use of our handy comparison tool below.