6 ways to blast debt in 2019 - Mozo Editors Picks
Putting a smile on someone’s face at Christmas is priceless - until you take a look at your credit card bill. But don’t worry, you’re not the only Aussie who dropped a bundle in December.
On the other hand, maybe you’ve been carrying debt long before Christmas arrived and with the new year now under way, you might be trying to figure out your next move. After all, wouldn’t it be nice to get to this time next year debt free!
Either way when it comes to blasting debt, there are a few options out there. So if you’re ready to finally say goodbye to lingering debt, our Mozo editor has rounded up some of the best debt blasters for 2019 below.
Balance transfer credit cards
Citi - Rewards
- 0% balance transfer for 24 months (1.50% balance transfer fee)
- Complimentary travel insurance
- Low $49 annual fee in the first year ($149 after)
The Citi Platinum (Balance Transfer Offer) credit card offers a 0% balance transfer for 24 months, giving you plenty of time to clear your debt. This card also offers a low $49 annual fee in the first year, before jumping to the regular fee of $149. Aussie travellers are also in for a treat as complimentary international travel insurance is also on offer. Just be sure to clear your debt within the 0% balance transfer period before the rate reverts to 21.74%.
Woolworths - Everyday Platinum Credit Card
- 0% p.a. balance transfer for 14 months (reverts to the variable cash advance rate)
- $0 annual fee in the first year ($49 after)
- Range of discounts from groceries to insurance
If you’re determined to blast debt fast, then look no further than the Woolworths Everyday Platinum credit card. This card features a 0% p.a. balance transfer for the 14 months, but you’ll need to make sure to clear your balance within this period to avoid being hit with the 21.99% p.a. revert rate. You won’t have to pay an annual fee in the first year and once you’re done clearing your debt, there’s stacks of discounts on offer, like a Woolworths $50 eGift card after you spend $150 a month for 3 months and apply before January 31 2019.
Great Southern Bank - Low Rate Credit Card
- 0% balance transfer for 13 months
- No annual fee in the first year ($49 after)
- Low 11.99% purchase rate
If you’re after a card that keeps costs to a minimum, you should give the cua Low Rate credit card a look. The Low Rate credit card has a 0% balance transfer for 13 months and doesn’t charge a fee to move your balance across. There’s no annual fee in the first year and a low purchase rate of 11.99% for when you’re done paying off debt (thought the cash advance rate is higher), making this a great low cost option.
Debt consolidation loans
Australian Military Bank - Unsecured Personal Loan
- Variable interest rates from 7.88% (8.72% comparison rate^^)
- Free extra repayments and redraw
- No exit fees
If you like the idea of blasting debt with a rate that’s as unique as you, then you need to check out the Australian Military Bank Unsecured Personal Loan - Excellent Credit. With variable rates starting from 7.88% (8.72% comparison rate^^) for borrowers with an excellent credit score, no exit fees and free extra repayments available, you’ll be on your way to being debt free in no time.
ING - Unsecured Personal Loan
- Fixed 8.99% interest rate (9.13% comparison rate^^)
- Option to have upfront fee waived
- Extra repayments welcomed
When it comes to a banking sometimes it’s best to keep things simple, which is why the ING Unsecured Personal Loan might be just what you’re looking for. With a fixed rate of 8.99% (9.13% comparison rate^^), you’ll have the comfort in always knowing your repayment amount, which you can easily work it into your budget. Plus, if you’ve got an active Everyday Orange Account, ING will waive the upfront fee!
SocietyOne - Unsecured Personal Loan
- Fixed rates from 7.50% (9.51% comparison rate^)
- No monthly or exit fees
- Get a quote in 3 minutes
But if you prefer to be a part of a community and have a top notch credit history, why not try the Society One Unsecured Personal Loan - Excellent Credit. Credible borrowers with an excellent credit score could have access to the low 7.50% fixed rate (9.51% comparison rate^). There’s no monthly or exit fees, only a one-off $300 upfront fee. And if you’re keen to get a jump start in paying off your debt, simple apply online and receive a quote in 3 minutes!
* WARNING: The Comparison Rate combines the lender's interest rate, fees and charges into a single rate to show the true cost of a personal loan. The comparison rates displayed are calculated based on a loan of $30,000 for a term of 5 years or a loan of $10,000 for a term of 3 years as indicated, based on monthly principal and interest repayments, on a secured basis for secured loans and an unsecured basis for unsecured loans. This comparison rate applies only to the example or examples given. Different amounts and terms will result in different comparison rates. Costs such as redraw fees or early repayment fees, and cost savings such as fee waivers, are not included in the comparison rate but may inﬂuence the cost of the loan.
^See information about the Mozo Experts Choice Credit Card Awards
Mozo provides general product information. We don't consider your personal objectives, financial situation or needs and we aren't recommending any specific product to you. You should make your own decision after reading the PDS or offer documentation, or seeking independent advice.
While we pride ourselves on covering a wide range of products, we don't cover every product in the market. If you decide to apply for a product through our website, you will be dealing directly with the provider of that product and not with Mozo.