Starting off with the credit card basics, the American Express Explorer card has a standard purchase rate of 20.74% p.a. If you pay your balance off in full each month you’ll get up to 55 days interest free. The card can only be used to make purchases online or in person as there is no option to use the credit available for cash withdrawals or cash advances.
The American Express Explorer card is eligible for use with Android Pay, Apple Pay and Samsung Pay, so you don’t even need to carry the physical card with you, but if you are travelling, we highly recommend you take the card just incase your Smartphone goes on the blink.
If you want to transfer a balance from another card to the Explorer card, there is a 0% balance transfer rate for the first 12 months but just be aware that there is a one-off upfront credit plan establishment fee of 1% to any balances transferred. The maximum balance transfer that can be approved is $10,000 or 70% of your approved credit limit, whichever is less.
There is no points cap on the Explorer card and to help you accrue rewards faster, you can add supplementary cards for family members at no extra cost, but keep in mind you’ll be liable for all spending and associated charges including interest on your account.
There is an $395 annual fee for the card but the premium benefits more than make up for this cost as long as you take advantage of them each year. They include:
- 50,000 Membership Rewards bonus points are only available to new American Express customers, who apply online, are approved and spend $1500 on the card within the first three months.
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Velocity, Singapore, Etihad and Emirates.
- Two Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent on all purchases except Australian Government bodies where you’ll earn 0.5 points per $1 spent.
- $400 annual travel credit through American Express travel. Book travel online for anyone you choose. Credit can go towards flights, hotels, car hire or events.
- Travel insurance cover including medical emergency, cancellation, baggage and inconvenience insurance for you and your family when you pay for your travel with your card.
- Get up to $500 for screen repairs if you accidentally break your Smartphone screen. 10% excess applies.
- Extend your manufacturer’s warranty by up to 12 months on items purchased with your American Express Explorer card.
- Purchase protection cover should your new items purchased with your card be stolen or damaged.
- Online fraud protection guarantee means you won’t be held responsible for any unauthorised charges made without your knowledge.
Who it's good for:
Like most rewards credit cards, the American Express Explorer is best suited to big spenders that can put the bulk of their expenses on their card but pay the balance off in full each month.
To be eligible for the card you’ll also need to have an annual income of $65,000 or more, be over 18 years of age and have no history or bad debt or payment default. You’ll also need to either be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold a current Business Long Stay Visa (457).
While existing American Express customers can transfer to the Explorer card, the 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points offer is only available to new American Express Customers or customers who have not had an American Express card issued by American Express in the preceding 18 month period.