How to beat home loan rate rises
Mortgage rates are going up, with Westpac becoming the first big bank to raise rates out of cycle and other lenders set to follow their lead. Home loan customers will be justifiably upset, but the good news is that you don’t have to just swallow it.
Rates may be going up for existing borrowers, but lenders are actively wooing new home loan customers with rate discounts, cashbacks and other Spring incentives. So, rather than sucking up a rate rise, now could be the perfect time to consider your options and switch to a better deal.
To get you started, here are five great value refinance home loans from Mozo Experts Choice winning lenders.
Low Cost Refinance Home Loans - Spring 2018
loans.com.au - Essentials Variable 90
- 3.64% interest rate (3.66% comparison rate*)
- No application or ongoing service fee
- Free extra repayments and redraw facility
With a super low variable rate, no application or annual fees and flexible features like unlimited extra repayments and free redraw, the loans.com.au Essentials Variable 80 is a top pick for refinancers borrowing between $50,000 and $2 million. You can apply online, refinance and start saving with minimum hassle thanks to loans.com.au's streamlined online process. Plus it’s got the expert seal of approval, taking out a Mozo Experts Choice Award for Low Cost Home Loan this year.
UBank - UHomeLoan - Discount Offer
- Discounted 3.59% variable and comparison rate*
- $0 application or annual fees
- Fast and easy to apply online
Refinancers could save thousands with this razor sharp variable rate home loan from UBank, on offer for a limited time to owner occupiers borrowing $200,000 or more. There's $0 bank fees and you can make extra repayments for free, plus choose from weekly, fortnightly or monthly repayments.
NAB - Base Variable Rate Home Loan Special Offer
- 3.69% variable rate (3.73% comparison rate*)
- Free extra repayments and redraw, plus $0 ongoing fees
- $1,250 bonus with an eligible NAB home loan banking bundle
If you’re looking for seriously competitive rate from a big bank, plus a heap of other perks, it’s hard to look past the NAB Base Variable Rate home loan. Not only will you pay no ongoing service fees and have access to free extra repayments and a redraw facility, you could also take advantage of NAB’s $1,250 bonus offer if you apply for a new loan over $250,000 before December 2 and open a NAB Transaction Account for your bonus to be paid into.
Bank Australia - Basic Home Loan Special
- 3.65% variable rate (3.66% comparison rate*) special
- $0 establishment fee until 30 September 2018
- Australia's responsible banking alternative
Bank Australia looks after its customers by returning profits through better rates and fees and a commitment to responsible causes, like not lending to the fossil fuel industry. In addition to a competitive interest rate, you'll be able to take advantage of flexible features like free redraw, extra repayments, the option to split your loan between fixed and variable rates and a loan repayment pause option. What's more, you'll pay no establishment fees if you apply by 30 September.
See how much you could save by refinancing
We can show you the monthly repayment amount for a range of loans
Want to compare more great value home loan options? Head over to our home loan comparison table to check them out.
* WARNING: This comparison rate applies only to the example or examples given. Different amounts and terms will result in different comparison rates. Costs such as redraw fees or early repayment fees, and cost savings such as fee waivers, are not included in the comparison rate but may influence the cost of the loan. The comparison rate displayed is for a secured loan with monthly principal and interest repayments for $150,000 over 25 years.
** Initial monthly repayment figures are estimates only, based on the advertised rate, loan amount and term entered. Rates, fees and charges and therefore the total cost of the loan may vary depending on your loan amount, loan term, and credit history. Actual repayments will depend on your individual circumstances and interest rate changes.
^See information about the Mozo Experts Choice Home Loan Awards
Mozo provides general product information. We don't consider your personal objectives, financial situation or needs and we aren't recommending any specific product to you. You should make your own decision after reading the PDS or offer documentation, or seeking independent advice.
While we pride ourselves on covering a wide range of products, we don't cover every product in the market. If you decide to apply for a product through our website, you will be dealing directly with the provider of that product and not with Mozo.