Allianz predicts the solo travel trend will grow in 2019 - with more customers taking out and making claims on travel insurance
There are many reasons people travel alone - to explore a new career, discover a different culture or even pursue a foreign love - and it seems the trend is becoming increasingly popular for the older generation of Aussies.
According to Allianz, there was a 9% increase in single travel insurance policies with the highest number being taken out by people over the age of 50.
The second and third highest were Aussie travellers in their 30s and 20s.
“The solo travel trend is testament to the confidence Australians have when travelling abroad, with so many seeking more adventurous travel destinations as a result.” said Lynne Sutherland, Chief Sales Officer for Allianz Partners.
In 2018 Allianz found that illness (21%) and loss or theft (16%) were the two most common claims made by people who had taken out a single travel insurance policy.
“When travelling, it’s also important to prioritise health and safety. As our data has found, protecting yourself from illness, petty theft, robbery and fraud are all things to prioritise when selecting your travel insurance policy, particularly when traveling solo and when even the small things can feel overwhelming,” she said.
In fact, data released by Allianz demonstrated that the number of claims made by Australians over the summer holiday period had gone up 32% from the previous year.
There were over 16,000 travel claims made over the summer holiday period last year, with some of the most unexpected travel occurrences from fitness fails to parasite infections to monkey attacks.
“You never know what could happen to you overseas and it’s always important to be prepared, especially if you’re going it solo. Getting the right travel insurance policy to suit your specific holiday needs can save you lots in potential costs later down the track,” Mozo Director, Kirsty Lamont said.
Here at Mozo we want everyone to have a great time when going overseas but there are some things to be mindful of while you’re alone abroad to ensure your travelling in the smartest and safest way!
- Do thorough research before you leave - It’s good to stay informed about the goings-on of your next destination so you can be prepared. Stay up-to-date with local news as there may be unexpected political or social unrest which may make you rethink your itinerary.
- Tell your family and friends at home where you are going - Give your nearest and dearest a copy of your passport, visas, important documents and your itinerary. It’s important that at least one other person knows your planned movements.
- Register for Smarttraveller.gov.au - The Australian Government constantly looks out for their Aussie travellers so sign up and stay alert to any significant changes around the world.
- Stay present on social media - A presence online can do wonders with informing the people around you of where you are. Post a bit more often than you would at home - you’re travelling it’s your responsibility to post that croissant you had for breakfast!
- Take out travel insurance - You never know what may occur when you are travelling and it’s best to have a financial blanket to fall on if something goes wrong. Finding the policy to suit you isn’t hard, there are so many options out there.
If you’re a solo traveller and need some help finding the best travel insurance policy for you, head to the Mozo travel insurance hub to find a policy to best suit your adventure.