Australia’s 7 best home loans of 2017 (for every borrower)
If there’s one thing every Aussie home borrower should do this Spring, it's to make sure you’ve got the best value home loan available. Why? Here's the reason...
The gap between the best and worst home loan rates on the market is widening, as lots of lenders cut rates to entice new borrowers while others sit back and do nothing. If your lender hasn't cut rates, you could be missing out on big savings.
The Mozo money experts have put together our top picks of some of the best home loans in the market right now, so read on and make saving money on your mortgage your top financial priority.
BEST VARIABLE RATE HOME LOAN
loans.com.au - Essentials Variable 90
- 3.52% p.a. variable rate (3.54% comparison rate*)
- No monthly fees (upfront fees apply)
- Split loan facility gives you up to 5 free splits
- Free redraws with no minimum
Online lender loans.com.au consistently offers some of the lowest home loan rates on the market and its Essentials Variable 80 is hard to beat for pure value. It’s available to Owner Occupiers with an LVR (loan to value ratio) under 80%. A great pick if you’re after a super cheap variable rate, don’t need an offset account and are happy to do the loan application legwork online.
BEST MAJOR BANK HOME LOAN
HSBC - Discounted Home Value Loan
- 3.59% variable rate (3.60% comparison rate*)
- $0 upfront or ongoing fees
- Borrow with as little as 10% deposit
With a rock bottom rate and no fees, the HSBC Home Value Loan is a great option for frugal borrowers. Available for amounts starting from $50,000, you can borrow up to 90% of the property’s value - making it easier for young borrowers to get into the market. Add to that a range of great features including free extra repayments, free redraw facility and the option to split your rate, and it makes for a deal that’s hard to pass up.
BEST LOW DEPOSIT HOME LOAN
RACQ Bank - Mortgage Saver Special
- 3.62% p.a. variable rate (3.62% comparison rate*)
- Borrow up to 95% of the property's value
- No upfront or ongoing fees
The RACQ Mortgage Saver Special not only allows you to borrow with as little as a 5% deposit, making it easier for borrowers to break into the market, but it also makes it super easy to pay off your mortgage quicker, with a suite of money-saving features. Cash in on free extra repayments, a redraw facility and the chance to take a repayment holiday to help manage your loan how you like it.
BEST OFFSET HOME LOAN
BEST 1 YEAR FIXED HOME LOAN
Bank Australia - Basic Home Loan
- 3.89% fixed rate for 1 year (3.91% comparison rate*)
- Borrow with as little as 5% deposit
- Option to split your loan between fixed and variable rates
For borrowers wanting to lock in a rate for a short time, the Bank Australia Basic Home Loan offers great value. From the low interest rate to the fact that there are no ongoing or upfront fees to worry about, this one is easy on your hip pocket. Plus, Bank Australia is the Mozo Experts Choice Australia’s Best Bank winner for 2017, so you can’t rest assured you’re in good hands.
BEST 2 YEAR FIXED HOME LOAN
Heritage Bank - Fixed Loan
- 3.79% fixed rate for 2 years (4.99% comparison rate*)
- No upfront application fee (monthly service fee applies)
- Borrow up to 95% of the property’s value
If you’re looking to lock in a great rate for the next couple of years, check out the Heritage Bank Fixed Loan. It comes with free extra repayments and a partial offset account, lus a redraw facility, though a fee does apply for using this. There’s also the option to choose monthly, fortnightly or weekly repayments and split your loan between fixed and variable rates for the best of both worlds.
BEST PACKAGED HOME LOAN
Newcastle Permanent - Discounted Variable Home Loan
- 3.64% variable interest rate (4.03% comparison rate*)
- No upfront fee ($395 annual package fee)
- Features including a full offset account, free extra repayments and redraw facility
If you’re hunting for a mortgage with plenty of flexible, money-savvy features then look no further. With the Newcastle Permanent Discounted Variable Premium Plus Package, you can save on interest with a full offset account, and by making fee-free extra repayments and choose your repayment frequency. Add to that a low rate and no upfront fees and it’s no wonder this loan is a Mozo Experts Choice winner.
Want to compare more home loans?
View the latest mortgage rates from 80 lenders at Mozo's home loan comparison hub.
* WARNING: This comparison rate applies only to the example or examples given. Different amounts and terms will result in different comparison rates. Costs such as redraw fees or early repayment fees, and cost savings such as fee waivers, are not included in the comparison rate but may influence the cost of the loan. The comparison rate displayed is for a secured loan with monthly principal and interest repayments for $150,000 over 25 years.
** Initial monthly repayment figures are estimates only, based on the advertised rate. You can change the loan amount and term in the input boxes at the top of this table. Rates, fees and charges and therefore the total cost of the loan may vary depending on your loan amount, loan term, and credit history. Actual repayments will depend on your individual circumstances and interest rate changes.
^See information about the Mozo Experts Choice Home Loan Awards
Mozo provides general product information. We don't consider your personal objectives, financial situation or needs and we aren't recommending any specific product to you. You should make your own decision after reading the PDS or offer documentation, or seeking independent advice.
While we pride ourselves on covering a wide range of products, we don't cover every product in the market. If you decide to apply for a product through our website, you will be dealing directly with the provider of that product and not with Mozo.