Tangerine Telecom named best NBN Provider of the Year 2021
Internet provider Tangerine Telecom has (virtually) walked away with the biggest prize of all in the latest edition of the Mozo Experts Choice NBN Awards: the award for best NBN Provider of the Year 2021!
Not only did Tangerine Telecom take home the big crown for its speedy fibre optic cables, but its NBN plans also received three other awards. After assessing more than 100 home internet providers, Mozo’s research team deemed Tangerine Telecom worthy of the following:
- Mozo Experts Choice NBN Provider of the Year 2021
- Mozo Experts Choice Award for Fast NBN for its XXL Speed Boost Plan
- Mozo Experts Choice Award for best Standard Plus NBN for its XL Speed Boost Plan
- Mozo Experts Choice Award for best Standard NBN for its Standard Speed Plan
Before we get ahead of ourselves though, here is a little more information about the Mozo Experts Choice NBN Awards.
The NBN awards
Going strong for eight years now, the Mozo Experts Choice Awards are an opportunity for our team of research experts to highlight financial products offering great value to Australians.
For the NBN awards in particular, the team analysed a huge 107 home internet providers, as listed on the NBNCo website in April 2021. NBN providers that only service businesses or a small geographic area were not taken into account.
Tangerine’s award-winning best NBN plans
Tangerine’s XXL Speed Boost, XL Speed Boost and Standard NBN plans all won 2021 Mozo Experts Choice Awards. Here’s a quick rundown of each one.
Tangerine Telecom XXL Speed Boost
- 92Mbps advertised typical evening speed
- Unlimited data
- $74.90 per month (6 month promo price) - (same min. total cost for the first month)
With an advertised typical evening speed of 92Mbps, it’s not hard to see why Tangerine Telecom’s XXL Speed Boost plan won a 2021 Mozo Experts Choice Award for best Fast NBN. On top of this it also comes with unlimited data and a $0 set-up fee. Although one thing worth noting is that the promo price will go up from $74.90 (same min. total cost for the first month) to $89.90 after six months (same min. total costs).
Tangerine Telecom XL Speed Boost
- 50Mbps advertised typical evening speed
- Unlimited data
- $54.90 per month (6 month promo price) - (same min. total cost for the first month)
Got a budget to stick to, but still want a fairly fast NBN plan? Tangerine Telecom’s XL Speed Boost might be worth checking out. This NBN plan comes with a decent advertised typical evening speed of 50Mbps and unlimited data. There is also a $0 set-up fee and no lock-in contract to worry about. The 2021 Mozo Experts Choice for best Standard Plus NBN is simply the cherry on top. The monthly cost is $54.90 (same min. total cost for first month), although as with all Tangerine’s NBN plans this is a six month promo price and will increase to $69.90 after that (same min. total cost).
Tangerine Telecom Standard Speed
- 25Mbps advertised typical evening speed
- Unlimited data
- $44.90 per month (6 month promo price) - (same min. total cost for the first month)
If you’re more of a casual surfer and Netflix watcher, then you might be after a more basic plan. Of course Tangerine Telecom’s Standard Speed NBN plan isn’t just any basic plan, it’s an award-winning basic NBN plan. Specifically it just won the 2021 Mozo Experts Choice Award for best Standard Speed plan. It offers an advertised typical evening speed of 25Mbps and unlimited data. There’s also a $0 set-up fee and no contract. Price is $44.90 per month (same min. total cost for the first month), but just keep in mind this is a promo price that lasts six months - after that it will increase to $59.90 per month (same min. total cost).
Not only did these three plans win awards, but collectively Mozo’s research team were impressed with the range of competitive pricing Tangerine offers for a number of different NBN speeds. It was for this reason the team also awarded Tangerine the much-coveted 2021 NBN Provider of the Year Award.
How the NBN award winners were chosen
The main aim of Mozo’s analysis was to see which of these NBN providers really were living up to their flash marketing campaigns. To do that they assessed each plan on a whole bunch of criteria, this included:
- Cost: This covers set-up costs, monthly charges and the cost of the lowest priced modem available from the NBN provider.
Contract options: For the 2021 awards, the team took into consideration NBN plans with contracts, where the contract was the same as or priced less than plans without a contract.
- Download limits: NBN plans with download limits were only considered for the standard speed awards categories. These plans were taken into account if they offered a minimum of 500GB per month and were notably less expensive than unlimited NBN plans.
- Delivery technology: The team collected data on fibre-to-the-node and fibre-to-the-curb as the most cost-effective and most widely available option to a large number of internet users.
- Advertised speed: NBN providers that did not advertise their typical evening speed, or who advertised a speed less than 60% of the top speed available on a plan, were not taken into consideration for the awards. ‘Basic’ plans with an advertised 12 Mbps speed were not taken into account either, as NBNCo actively discourages internet customers from taking out lower speed plans.
- Technical support: As is always the case with technology, things are likely to go wrong at some point. For this reason our team only took into account NBN providers that offer technical support over the phone, at least between the hours of 9am and 7pm on weekdays and for some hours on Saturdays and Sundays.
Want to read more about the awards? Check out the full list of 2021 Mozo Experts Choice NBN Award winners here. Plus if you want to really get into it, read through the NBN Plan Awards methodology report – in this you can see how Mozo’s research team analysed each NBN plan.
Or, check out more of Tangerine Telecom’s NBN plans below.
Other Tangerine Telecom NBN plans
Mozo provides general product information. We don't consider your personal objectives, financial situation or needs and we aren't recommending any specific product to you. You should make your own decision after reading the PDS or offer documentation, or seeking independent advice.
While we pride ourselves on covering a wide range of products, we don't cover every product in the market. If you decide to apply for a product through our website, you will be dealing directly with the provider of that product and not with Mozo.