Mobile phones and cameras top list of most claimed valuables by Aussie travellers
Following the Christmas season, Aussie travellers are being warned to be prepared and stay vigilant this summer. According to InsureandGo, mobile phones and cameras top the list of personal valuables most likely to be lost or stolen whilst overseas, both of which are valuables commonly taken abroad by Aussies.
Despite some travel insurance policies including luggage and personal effects cover, which means your item will be reimbursed or replaced, many of the items usually hold sentimental value that cannot be replaced in the event of theft or damage. For instance, photos and other personal mementos stored on phones and cameras usually cannot be recovered thus leaving travellers out of pocket emotionally.
Jonathan Etkind, Commercial Manager of InsureandGo, advised, “Being prepared before you travel makes life much easier if something does go astray – remember you are on holiday and want to make any paperwork as easy as possible, or better yet avoid a claim altogether by travelling smart.”
Laptops, tablets and jewellery round out the top five most claimed items according to the travel insurer, most, if not all of which, are worth more than just their monetary value.
Etkind offered these travel tips for Aussie travellers this summer to avoid the need to make a claim, or to make claims easier:
- Pack fluids separately to any electronic devices you may be carrying, any data that is stored on those devices may be irrecoverable in the event of damage
- Ensure you have proof of ownership of your personal valuables which are readily accessible in the event you do need to make a claim
- Do not leave personal property unattended or with someone you are not familiar with as your travel insurance won’t cover you in these instances
- Leave personal belonging in a locked boot, locked glove box or secured and covered luggage compartment in vehicles. If this is not possible, carry the personal valuables on you
- Leave any valuable personal belongings in your hotel safe if possible
- Download all existing images from your phone and camera onto your computer before leaving for your holiday to ensure you don’t lose those personal mementos
Are you after some travel insurance for your upcoming trip? Compare deals in our hub here.