Qantas frequent flyer
It would be a little un-Australian if you weren’t familiar with the lyrics ‘I still call Australia home…’! It’s the tune to the Qantas campaign that started running in the late 1990’s, linking it to Australia’s most recognised and longest running airlines. The iconic Aussie airline has a Qantas Frequent Flyer loyalty program and the best news is, you don’t have to be a frequent flyer to enjoy the benefits of being a member.
The Qantas Frequent Flyer is one of the longest and most popular
frequent flyer loyalty programs in Australia. With over 400 program
partners you’re bound to find something to reward you for your spending!
One of the ways that you can earn points is via a Qantas Frequent Flyer credit card. Each time you make a purchase on the card, you’ll earn Qantas points that can be redeemable for just about everything you do in day-to-day life.
Start comparing our top Qantas cards below!
Who offers Qantas frequent flyer credit card?
Just about every bank in Australia offers a frequent flyer credit card with some directly linked to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, also known as direct earn cards. For example, the ANZ Frequent Flyer credit card and the Bankwest Qantas Platinum Mastercard is connected with the Qantas rewards program. So every time you use this credit card to make a purchase you will earn points towards your Qantas frequent flyer membership.
There are then general rewards credit cards that are indirectly linked to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. The points earned are credited to a general rewards program and can then be converted to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program if you choose. Keep in mind, with these indirect credit cards, you may lose points during the conversion to Qantas points.
Click here to compare frequent flyer credit cards and find one that suits you.
Tips for earning maximum Qantas Frequent Flyer points
There are so many different ways you can earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points it’s not funny! Remember to always carry your membership card in your wallet, use your Qantas Frequent Flyer credit card whenever you make a purchase and shop at partner stores, as this will help you to earn maximum points. Also follow the tips below:
- Fly with Qantas and partner airlines: About to book a flight? Book a Qantas or Jetstar flight and you’ll immediately earn Qantas points. There are also 35 partner airlines linked with the program that fly to more than 1,000 global destinations. If you’re planning a holiday be sure to check out the travel money section of our site!
- Shopping: You can earn Qantas points just about every day when you shop online or in person, be it groceries, petrol, clothes, homewares, cosmetics or electronics there’s plenty of opportunities. For example, David Jones, eBay and The Iconic are all Qantas Frequent Flyer program partners. Whenever you make a purchase, there’s no harm is asking, ‘can I earn Qantas points?!’
- Cars and hotels: Next time you’re planning that romantic weekend away or family holiday earn Qantas points by booking with one of the 13,000 accommodation options linked to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. You can also earn points by booking your car hire through Avis or Budget.
- Paying for bills: Check with your bank but some will allow you to earn Qantas points when you pay for a bill as it may be considered a purchase.
- Wine and food: Enjoy dining out or sipping on a nice glass of red? You can earn lots of yummy Qantas points by booking and dining at over 2000 Qantas restaurants.
- Sign up to email newsletters: You may be quick to delete these but always scan your eyes over them, by signing up to email newsletter you be alerted of special offers from partners and opportunities to earn bonus points.
What you can redeem your Qantas points on
You’ve accumulated plenty of Qantas points, now it’s time to redeem them and reward yourself for all that spending. As we’ve mentioned above, the good thing about being a Qantas Frequent Flyer member is that you don’t just have to just use your points on flights, there are so many ways you can redeem points.
- Flights: Redeem your points for flights with Qantas and partner airlines
- Upgrade: Treat yourself by using your points for a flight upgrade Qantas Club: Whatever your reason for travel, use point to sit back and relax in the comfort of the Qantas Club lounge
- Qantas Store: Spoil yourself by redeeming points in the Qantas Store. There’s over 3,000 products and gift cards to choose from
- Hotels and car hire: There’s over 100,000 hotels and several car hire companies you can choose from to redeem your points with
- Qantas epiQure: If you’re a lover of good quality, premium wine, use your points to get cases delivered right to your front door! We know that choosing a rewards card isn’t easy and you want one that will offer you rewards you’re interested in. That’s why Mozo developed the Rewards Revealer Tool. Simply plug in your annual spend and we'll show you which card will give you the best rewards for your situation
Qantas Frequent Flyer credit card fees
Qantas Frequent Flyer club membership fee: Some credit card providers will waive the membership fee the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. If you’re not one of the lucky ones, there is a one off fee of $89.50 to enjoy the benefits.
Qantas Credit Card Comparison Table - page last updated October 22, 2020
American Express Qantas Discovery Card
American Express Qantas Discovery CardDetails
St.George Amplify Platinum
St.George Amplify PlatinumDetails
Qantas Money Qantas Premier Platinum
Qantas Money Qantas Premier PlatinumDetails
American Express Qantas Premium Card
American Express Qantas Premium CardDetails
BankSA Amplify Platinum
BankSA Amplify PlatinumDetails
Annual fee: A Qantas Frequent Flyer credit card does come with a hefty annual fee compared to other rewards cards. For example, the ANZ Frequent Flyer Black credit card has an annual fee of $425. Is it all worth it? Read our guide on rewards credit cards vs annual fee.
Currency conversion fee: As a Qantas Frequent Flyer it may be fair to assume you enjoy travelling abroad! However, remember, when you use your card to make an overseas purchase (online or in person) you will be charged a currency conversion fee of between 2-3% of the Australian dollar amount. Head over to our travel money section of the site so you don’t return home from your next overseas trip with a massive credit card bill.
Late payment fee: This fee is easily avoidable! If you pay your credit card bill late, you will be hit with a late payment fee and then there’s interest on top of that. Set up a direct debt or automatic transfer to you don’t risk paying your bill late.
Cash advance fee: Each time you withdraw money from an ATM using your Qantas Frequent Flyer credit card you’ll be charged a withdrawal fee of around 3% on the amount you take out, plus your provider will start charging you interest on that money which can be as high as 20%. Here are some tips on avoiding credit card fees!
Do’s and don’ts of Qantas Frequent Flyer credit cards
1# DO use or earn Qantas points through your frequent flyer account at least every 18 months. If not they will expire.
2# DON’T forget to pay your credit card bill on time and if possible in full each month.
3# DO keep your Qantas frequent flyer membership card in your wallet. That way you can swipe it whenever you shop with partner and earn more points.
4# DO take the time and shop around for the cheapest flight. DON’T waste your hard earned 8000 Qantas points on a flight from Melbourne to Sydney which you could get on sale for $100.
5# DON’T choose a card with a hefty annual fee that will cost you more than the value you will earn back in points.
6# DO use your Qantas points for flights, you’ll get the best value for them compared to redeeming them for shopping rewards.
7# DO a budget and don’t spend money you don’t have. Check out the Mozo budget planner
8# DON’T use your card to take out cash from an ATM, the cash advance fee can be high.
9# DON’T forget to check your statement when it arrives to track your spending and pick up on any incorrect charges.
10# DO take advantage of all the benefits offered to you as Qantas Frequent Flyer member.
^See information about the Mozo Experts Choice Rewards Credit Cards Awards
Mozo provides general product information. We don't consider your personal objectives, financial situation or needs and we aren't recommending any specific product to you. You should make your own decision after reading the PDS or offer documentation, or seeking independent advice.
While we pride ourselves on covering a wide range of products, we don't cover every product in the market. If you decide to apply for a product through our website, you will be dealing directly with the provider of that product and not with Mozo.